Sunday, July 15, 2012

Charlie

Our girls love animals.  The only thing either of them asked for this year for their birthday was a dog.  We continued to tell them we just weren't "ready" for a dog.  "Maybe in a couple of years".  Turns out that a "couple of years" happened early.

This is Charlie.


He is our dog.  It happened by chance.  Our friends Michelle, Henry and Alice got Charlie in May.  He came from a program that trains dogs for search and rescue.  Charlie wasn't quite cut out for that kind of work...but he was already trained in a lot of ways.  Basic commands, sleeping in a crate, etc.  He's a lab/pointer mix about 12-18 months old.  Problem was....it turns out that Charlie just didn't gel with their cat.  So...Michelle called me thinking that we may know someone who was looking for a dog.  (Because we definitely were not.)  It clicked in my head when she asked that....if we are going to get a dog....this could be the perfect situation.  Already potty-trained, crate trained, out of the puppy chewing thing, etc.  I told her I would let her know if I thought of anyone.  I immediately asked Mark what he thought.  I think he thought I was crazy....mostly because I was the biggest hold-out on the dog thing.  We asked the girls what they thought.  Duh. I called Michelle back and asked if we could just try him out for the weekend.  


Needless to say....the weekend came and went.  Charlie is definitely part of the family.




No comments: